Music Blogs - Blogged Blog Directory Add to Technorati Favorites

Thursday, May 04, 2006

(Music Blip) Calexico: "Garden Ruin"

Calexico has been around for some time apparently. I, however, am only familiar with them because of their recent collaboration with Iron and Wine (a beautiful album, I applaud). If their latest release, "Garden Ruin" is any indication of how the rest of their catalog sounds like, well, I have some catching up to do. This album is beautiful, catchy, brilliant, and a handful of other positive adjectives that could go without mentioning.

I suppose I really like Calexico because they remind me of Jars of Clay ala "Who We Are Instead," which, regardless of your religious affiliations, is just a beautifully crafted album. "Garden Ruin" is absolutely flooded with Nashville-esque southern gospel-like rock 'n' roll and it's a pretty refreshing sound to hear. Song for song, it's tough for anyone to be disappointed in this, I know I'm not. Without a doubt, this is one of the strongest albums so far this year!

Recommended for fans of Jars of Clay and Iron and Wine.

Key Tracks:
1. "Cruel"
2. "Roka"
3. "Brisbee Blue"
4. "Yours and Mine"
5. "Landing Field"

No comments: