Music Blogs - Blogged Blog Directory Add to Technorati Favorites

Friday, February 06, 2009

29 in 2009: A February Update


As much as I love the idea of this whole 29 in 2009 thing, I must admit that it's becoming much more time consuming than I originally thought.  I'm definitely taking my sweet time with this one, though to be fair, you're definitely getting way more posts than that whole September - November phase of the blog.  My reasoning is simple on this.  I've never been one to just make passing listens to music and then discard it, unless of course it's something absolutely dreadful (think Gogol Bordello).  Therefore, I try to give each album the time it deserves.


This problem is only intensified by my absolute adoration of the new Loney, Dear album (review up next week), which I simply can't stop listening to, and the fact that The Who's Tommy - the album I'm currently working on - is a very difficult thing to process.  I've definitely spent a lot of my time researching the album, and a lot of time listening to it.  The problem is that you simply can't listen to Tommy a few songs at a time.  It has to be consumed as a whole, and finding 1.2 hours (thanks iTunes!!) here and there to listen intently to complex music can be tough.  It's coming along though, and if there isn't a write-up on it in the next 2 weeks I'd be surprised.

Next, let me talk about how I go about picking the albums that make it to the Top 29.  It's basically a mathematical equation that involves my prior knowledge of the band (Rush and Pink Floyd probably won't make it on the final list because I feel like I've already heard enough of them to "get it" and appreciate what they're all about), how influential the album is (I don't necessarily think I'll enjoy Bob Dylan or Robert Johnson, but it's like "required reading" if you want to know anything about music, right?), and critical consensus (I personally think that The Grass Roots have made some of the most classic pop music of all time, but the critics and popular opinion don't usually back that up).

Below, you'll find an updated version of the 29 albums that I'll attempt to listen to this year.  New additions to the list have been added in bold.  You'll notice that there are 11 spots still available on the list.  I will be doing something special with these slots, and yes, YOU will be the person who decides what makes it in those spots.  More on that when the time arrives (we're still a ways off).  Until then, be sure to catch up on my first two reviews in the series and post your comments in their respective posts.
  1. Elton John: Goodbye Yellow Brick Road 
  2. King Crimson: In the Court of the Crimson King 
  3. The Who: Tommy 
  4. Nick Drake: Pink Moon
  5. Bob Dylan: Highway 61
  6. Robert Johnson: King of the Delta Blues
  7. Jimi Hendrix: Electric Ladyland
  8. Buddy Holly: Buddy Holly
  9. Jethro Tull: Aqualung
  10. The Velvet Underground: The Velvet Underground and Nico
  11. The Doors: The Doors
  12. The Clash: London Calling
  13. The Allman Brothers: Eat a Peach
  14. Miles Davis: Bitches Brew
  15. The Beatles: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
  16. The Smiths: The Queen is Dead
  17. R.E.M.: Murmur 
  18. Joni Mitchell: Blue
  19.  
  20.  
  21.  
  22.  
  23.  
  24.  
  25.  
  26.  
  27.  
  28.  

Thanks for reading!

No comments: