Music Blogs - Blogged Blog Directory Add to Technorati Favorites

Thursday, September 14, 2006

(Live Music) My Brightest Diamond

I have a new hero. Her name is Shara Worden.

Long have I considered this girl to be the cutest person in the world and it was only recently that I added her to my list of favorite female vocalists, but now I'd also like to go ahead and add her to my list of "all-time coolest people." Why? She just doesn't care about what you think about her. Not in the kinda way where she'll go fornicate with 12 males and then kill a hobo in cold blood, but in the kind of way that she can perform "Freak Out," a song that relies heavily on drums and bass to make it bearable, and perform it without drums and bass while dancing around like a complete fool. I don't know of many people who enjoyed this part of the performance, but I loved it. I was cracking up the whole time.

My only complaint about My Brightest Diamond live is that she chose to do the first 4 or 5 songs of her set without drums and bass, although I'm beginning to think that the drummer may have been hit with a terrible case of diarrhea just before they took the stage and she chose to go ahead without him. When the whole band was assembled though, dang! "Something of an End" was much more powerful live than it is on the album (surprisingly) and "Workhorse" was by far one of the most amazing live performances I've yet to see in my life. One thing is for sure, Shara Worden is a talented individual!

It felt pretty awkward to be the only one at the concert who was familiar with her music, but I kinda felt special because of that. That being said, she didn't perform "Magic Rabbit," probably my second-favorite song on her album. But that's okay, because she did perform "Golden Star" perfectly, perhaps beyond perfect. Whatever that means.

Like I said, any brewing obsession with My Brightest Diamond has now been solidified within me. Shara Worden is great, and I can't wait to check her out the next time she comes back to Texas!

Key Performances:
1. "Something of an End"
2. "Workhorse"
3. "Golden Star"

4 out of 5 Stars

No comments: