Music Blogs - Blogged Blog Directory Add to Technorati Favorites

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

(Music) September Wrap-Up

I've never done one of these before, but I've been hella busy with school these days, so here it is.

Justin Timberlake: "Futuresex/Lovesounds" - Apparently, Justin Timberlake thinks about sex more than a 12-year-old boy. I'm just assuming this because nearly every song on this album is about sex in some form or fashion, or at least something that will undoubtedly lead to sex. Also frustrating is the fact that Timbaland, T.I., Three Six Mafia, and Will.I.Am. just seem like Justin is searching for credibility. You had it. It was called "Justified." But now it's gone forever.

2 out of 5 Stars


Mastodon: "Blood Mountain"
- Admittedly, I'm not really a metal fan. But I have to say that this album thoroughly gave my balls a good rocking, and I will continue coming back to this one for a good couple of months if I feel that they could use even more razor blade hugs! Definitely an album to give to the sissy kid down the street who's still playing with micro machines instead of big kid toys...like guns.

4 out of 5 Stars


Bonnie "Prince" Billy: "The Letting Go" - I've let go. This album is awesome, featuring some of the best songwriting that I've heard in 2006 and probably one of the most honest vocal performances as well. If you're unfamiliar with Bonnie "Prince" Billy, this is a great place to start. I know, because I've just started. I have too much to get caught up on, so I'll just pretend that the rest of the albums don't exist. "The Letting Go" is a phenomenal debut album!

4 out of 5 Stars


Yo La Tengo: "I Am Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass" - Not the greatest album in the world, but it's still a pretty good one. It's your standard indie rock album. The lyrics are, at times, moving and the melodies are often enchanting. My only complaint about the album is that the vocal performances are lackluster, probably due to lack of skill than anything else, but still aggravating nonetheless. Don't let that discourage you though, this is good stuff, even if it comes off as a bit careless, but then again, they aren't afraid of us.

3 out of 5 Stars


Jedi Mind Tricks: "Servants In Heaven, Kings In Hell" - As far as rap albums go, this one is pretty solid. Indie rap albums are over the place, but Jedi Mind Tricks have always been a little ahead of the curve. Sure, there a emcees that do it better, there are better producers, but if you're looking for the one thing that's missing in hip-hop nowadays (honesty), then you should look no further than this album. Listen to "Razorblade Salvation" featuring Shara Worden of My Brightest Diamond, and you'll suddenly understand of what rap music should sound like...even if the song kind comes off as a "Stan" rip-off.

3 out of 5 Stars


Xiu Xiu: "The Air Force" - I don't think there's an album to come out in 2006 that has frustrated me more than this one. I want to like it, I really do, but when I really be honest with myself it's damn-near one of the most pathetic excuses for music I've ever heard. Don't get me wrong, the actual instrumentations and stuff are great, but the vocals are horrendous and, from what I can tell, purposefully difficult. Listen to "Vulture Piano" and hear great music and horrible vocals, then realize that this is what the album is like. I don't like it, and I don't think I can.

2 out of 5 Stars


TV on the Radio: "Return to Cookie Mountain" - I've never really considered myself a TV on the Radio fan. I bought their first album and quickly gave it away to the first unsuspecting victim I could find. This album will undoubtedly continue that trend. At times, their music is fairly decent and it can even rock out at times, but the overall package is completely unappealing to me and will remain so for now.

1 out of 5 Stars

John Mayer: "Continuum" - If you've heard "Room for Squares" or "Heavier Things" then you should have no logical reason to listen to "Continuum." Maybe it's just that I've grown tired of John Mayer (which I don't believe) or maybe it's just that I'm tired of every single artist that I've grown to admire criticize politics and war(that's a bit more likely), but one thing's for sure, "Continuum" just isn't doing it for me. I've always like John Mayer, and I've defended him on several occasions, but there isn't a single song on here that can compete with a song from his other works. When "Waiting on the World to Change" is the best song you can pull out...don't.

2 out of 5 Stars

So there you have it. The rest of September wrapped up into a neat little package for your reading enjoyment. And let's not forget that T.V. on the Radio did really just get a 1 out of 5 Stars, which makes them officially worse than Paris Hilton. Lesson? Quit making music if you suck at making music.

Goodbye.


No comments: