Music Blogs - Blogged Blog Directory Add to Technorati Favorites

Friday, May 25, 2007

Top 5 Songs on My Running Playlist

I am not a runner. I run. But I am not a runner. Since I can remember I have loathed the experience. I was always slower than most people, I was never motivated, I never breathed right, and my chest always hurt me. I absolutely despise running. I think it's a safe bet to say that if it weren't for my iPod, I wouldn't run at all. However, thanks to this nifty lil' device, I often find myself motivated to go the extra mile. In my iPod, I have devised a playlist so amazing, so earth-shatteringly brilliant that it's hard not to run. The following list contains the top 5 songs on that playlist that really get me pumped. Feel free to add any of them to your playlist as well. You can thank me later.


#5. "Blood on Our Hands (Marczech Makuziak Remix)" by Death From Above 1979 - This song is better than the original, yet it still contains the same driving guitars and drums. If this doesn't get you pumped up, nothing will. The tempo will keep you moving fast...but not too fast. Why not too fast? Because death is bad, and I would die.


#4. "Sugar Assault Me Now" by Pop Levi - Pop Levi's debut album was largely a waste of time. However, it contained a few songs that will be memorable for some time to come. This song in particular contains probably the coolest guitar riff on the album, and it's steady drums will get even the laziest person out of their seat. Whether or not they'll run to it or just use it as motivation to change spots in front of the TV is their perogative. But for me, it helps me run.


#3. "Highway Robbery" by The Dillinger Escape Plan - I know I don't seem like the kind of guy that woiuld indulge in some good ol' fashioned Dillinger, but some songs are just too good to pass up. This is one of those songs that invokes rage and fire from within you. If you're smart, you'll use that as motivation to run and burn off some steam. If you're dumb you'll go kill someone or set a puppy on fire. I recommend the former, unless you'd prefer a few years in a federal pound-me-in-the-ass prison. Again, this is your perogative.


#2. "Light Grenades" by Incubus - I need to make myself perfectly clear that this is the song "Light Grenades" and not the album of the same name. While the album was a heaping pile of disappointment, this song actually manages to rock the stones just a bit. It's 100% sheer energy from start to finish. And even though it's run time is a bit on the short side, it gives me enough of a boost to keep me going for some time. Thanks guys. Maybe make a decent album next time. For me, k?


#1. "Yamkela" by Blindside - All the songs on my running playlist are really songs that I don't listen to on a regular basis. This song should demonstrate that point perfectly. I haven't listened to Blindside casually since 2003, when I still liked Blindside, and the album that this song comes from is particularly terrible. The fact that it still manages to be on my playlist, much less #1 on this list, should give you an idea of how awesome this song is to run too. The chorus is just plain awesome! If you can't get into this one, just sit down, eat Cheetos, and get fat. You're wasting your time.

No comments: