Music Blogs - Blogged Blog Directory Add to Technorati Favorites

Friday, August 24, 2007

Top 20 Songs About Love: Songs 10-6

I'm absolutely crazy about lists for some strange reason. I'm like John Cusak in "High Fidelity" I'm so crazy about lists. In case you haven't been keeping up, for the last few weeks I've been counting down the top 20 songs about love (that I have on my computer). Each Friday, 5 new songs are revealed until I finally reveal them all. Here are songs 20-16 and here are songs 15-11, just in case you weren't already caught up. Here are songs 10-6.

#10: Loney, Dear - "I Will Call You Lover Again" - Emil Svanängen is a really, really fragile male, in case you didn't know. Practically every song on 2007's Loney, Noir is about him feeling inferior or awkward. This song is no different. It's about him essentially ruining a perfectly good romantic evening with his self-doubt and perceived inferiority. My favorite line in the entire song is where he sings "I'll steal your photographs just to know that I was actually not dreaming this time, that I was for real this time." It's not your typical love song, that's for sure. But it's honest and I totally relate to it.

#9: Stars - "What I'm Trying to Say" - Stars have this unbelievable ability to craft these amazing love songs. This is one of their best. It deals with a couple being in love but not wanting to say "I love you," either because it's too cliche or it doesn't fit them. The chorus is so catchy and true that you can't help but fall in love with it. They sing "I am trying to say what I want to say without having to say 'I love you!'" It's possibly the most genius chorus ever written in pop music, and shows just how talented the band is.

#8: The Postal Service - "Brand New Colony" - There's really no denying that Ben Gibbard is a brilliant lyricist, especially when the subject matter of the song is love. This song is proof of that brilliance. He begins by singing about all the things he'll be for his lover, all the different ways he would be a part of her life. He sings, "I'll be the platform shoes, undo what heredity's done to you. You won't have to strain to look into my eyes," and you just think "Wow, that was awesome." Later in the song when he fantasizes about leaving the world they and starting a brand new colony, just the two of them, it is perhaps the most perfect example of love and devotion that one could paint in a pop song. But this is Ben Gibbard, and it just comes with the territory.

#7: Muse - "Blackout" - When I was compiling this list and shortening it down to 20 songs, this was a song that I knew had to be up towards the top. It's one of the most sobering songs about love ever! It's definitely not one of Muse's more rockin' songs, but it's one of my favorites nonetheless. It deals with two young lovers coming to terms with the fact that their love will probably not last. Matt sings, "Don't kid yourself and don't fool yourself. This love's too good to last, and I'm too young to care." The lush string instrumentation really carries this song and makes it as haunting as it is. If you've never heard it, rush out and pick up a copy of Absolution. It's one of the best rock albums of the last decade anyway, so you really have nothing to lose.

#6: Stars - "In Our Bedroom, After the War" - What? Two Stars songs in the same list? That's right folks. This one comes courtesy of their new album of the same name. It's about two lovers living in a post-war world, acknowledging the fact that life isn't perfect and that some things aren't the way you want them to be, "But at least the war is over." Like "Your Ex-Lover Is Dead," Stars' best song, this one builds slowly from the beginning before erupting with strings and vocals crying "Up in our bedroom after the war!" I get goosebumps every time I hear it, it's so good. Granted, I'm not the biggest fan of the new album, but this is more than enough reason to give it a purchase. It's an absolutely beautiful song. One filled with hope and love, and one that's worth being on this list.

No comments: