Music Blogs - Blogged Blog Directory Add to Technorati Favorites

Friday, October 23, 2009

Top 5 Artist I Have to See Live Before I Die (Revisited)

Over two years ago, I wrote a list on this blog titled, The Top 5 Artists I Absolutely Have to See Live Before I Die.  It's quite a mouthful of a title, and the bands on the list were no less epic.  Since I wrote that article, I've seen 4 of the 5 bands mentioned (The Decemberists, The Flaming Lips, Radiohead, and Muse), leaving only Cursive on the "yet to be seen" list.  With that in mind, I've done some brainstorming today to come up with a new top 5 list for your reading pleasure.  Do you agree or disagree?  Have you seen any of these bands?  Who's on your list?  That's what the comments section is for, folks.  Hit me up and let me know.



#5.  Wallpaper. - So by this point I best everybody who's reading this is tired of me hyping up Wallpaper. to no end.  Sorry.  I'm a fan.  So much of a fan that when they came to Austin (a 3-hour trip) a few weeks ago I beat myself up about it because I had to work at 6am the following morning.  I know part of being a music fan is suffering for your love of the art, but I'm an adult and I can't get away with that stuff anymore (I sound like my dad). Word on the street is that these guys put on one hell of a show, and that's one show I defintiely don't want to miss out on the next time they come to Texas!

#4.  Loney, Dear - Same story, just a different time.  The last time Emil and Loney, Dear came to Houston (I believe) it was also their first.  Let's hope its not their last too because I once again had to work the next morning at some ungodly hour.  I wasn't too upset about it at the time, but I just read a review of their show in California a few weeks ago and it sounds like I missed out on an experience that I'll ne'er forget.  Too bad.  Next time though, things are gonna be different, I swear.  If that last line didn't read like a bad 80s ballad I don't know what does.

#3.  Animal Collective - I'm letting the cat out of the bag here.  You weren't supposed to find this out unitl December, but I think that Merriweather Post Pavilion is a terrible album, Animal Collective's worst.  This is the kind of surprise you get when I take a year-off from full-time blogging.  Exciting huh?  Yeah, well despite my thoughts on the band's most recent record, I would still love to hear it (or any of their albums, for that matter) performed in a live setting.  I imagine it being completely mind-blowing!  Unfortunately, I live in Houston...so if I'm going to see them live, I'm probably going to have to drive elsewhere to accomplish that.  Should be worth it though...

#2.  Bjork - Bjork is someone who is so good that I can't believe I left her off of my list the first time I wrote it, especially considering that I was way more into her then than I am now.  All wrongs have been righted, however, because here she is in her rightful position of #2 on this list.  So why Bjork?  Why not?!  Besides being one of the most talented female vocalists alive today, she is absolutely batshit crazy.  Seriously, have you seen pictures of a Bjork concert?  It's like a classier version of a Flaming Lips show.  And the Flaming Lips live were amaaaaaaaazing!

#1.  Muse....again - Talk about an anti-climactic list, right? I apologize for that, but when I'm really honest with myself, Muse seriously needs to be at the top of this list.  I just saw them open up for U2 a week ago, but it feels like I never saw them at all.  Being that far away from the band in the nosebleeds made me feel more like I was listening to a really loud version of a live CD, not like I was at a show.  Hell, I was seated the whole time!  That's no way to see Muse!  If you're going to see Muse, they're going to have to be the headliners playing an hour and a half set, and you're going to have to be in a sea of people jockeying for position at the front of the stage.  No arguments!  So for as great as Muse played the other night, I need to see them again to really take them off this list.


1 comment:

kmoe said...

Not seeing muse in high school for the low low price of 20 dollars still haunts me to this day.