Music Blogs - Blogged Blog Directory Add to Technorati Favorites

Friday, March 16, 2007

Top 5 Artists I Absolutely Have to See Live Before I Die!

I've seen my fair share of shows, no doubt. Your Of Montreals, your Sufjan Stevens, your Rogue Waves, etc. However, there are a lot of artists who I really need to see live. And it's not like I haven't tried either. They're just never around. It's time they get around!

#5: Cursive - I just should have seen them this past November, but I had tests and work and other random sorts of obstruction. Now they're headed off to Europe with Mastodon and my heart is breaking. Why can't I live in Austin? Oh right....I haven't moved. Still, Cursive is incredible and supposedly really awesome live.

#4: The Decemberists - The Decemberists are one of the few bands that put out consistently great albums, which makes me unbearably excited to see one of their live shows. Unfortunately, a bulletin posted by the band via Myspace a few months back was titled "Why We Will Never Play In Houston." What followed was a video of Two Gallants being assaulted by HPD officers at Walter's On Washington, a bottom rung music venue in the area. Fortunately for The Decemberists, they are far too big of an attraction for Walter's. So come to Houston, quict being dicks.

#3: Muse - I loves me some Muse. I had the opportunity to see them once in Houston, but I skipped out to go to Thursday night church. Gay. It was kind of an obligation or what not, but it's one of the few times in my life that I wish I would have been more irresponsible. They haven't been back since, and I've cried a little every day.

#2: Radiohead - I've seen some bootlegs of their live performances, and even some that are professionally shot, and I can't say that I've seen more powerful live performances in my life. Every second of their shows are captivating and awe-inspiring. I am 100% sure that I will never see Thom Yorke and Co. in Houston. 100%. But that's okay. I'm willing to drive up to 6 hours to see them perform. It's that important to me.

#1: The Flaming Lips - These guys are old, so it's understandable that they don't tour hardly ever. It's even more understandable that when they actually do tour, it's usually in a localized region, like the Midwest or California. But that doesn't curve my yearnings for a heaping dose of Flaming Lips psychodelics. Hook me up Wayne! DO me a favor and head to the Lone Star state. Go to El Paso. It's 12 hours away from me, but you better believe I'd make it! I want to experience the madness!

No comments: