Music Blogs - Blogged Blog Directory Add to Technorati Favorites

Friday, March 02, 2007

Album of the Month: February

In any given year, there are always months that have their share of great music and other months that are dull and boring. February is typically one of the latter. While January sets the tone for the year, February is usually categorized by a drought of decent music in anticipation of notable springtime releases. Surprisingly, February wasn't all that bad. We got a few decent albums this month, and even though choosing the winner was easy, picking a runner-up was extremely difficult. That being said, however, I'm really excited for the month of March, which has several big releases. Most of these will hit stores next week, so keep an eye out.


The Winner
Field Music: "Tones of Town"
There's something to say about surprises. Some people like 'em, some people don't. Personally, I only like them if the end result is pleasant. Field Music was a very pleasant surprise to me. I didn't really know what to expect when I first checked out the album. I listened to it once, but then set it aside, not really knowing what sort of a travesty I was commiting. A few days later, I was making a long trip in my vehicle and I needed something to listen to. I figured I'd give Field Music another shot, so I popped it into my stereo and listened again. Still, nothing really caught my ear. Then "Working to Work" began to play, and I was instantly captivated. This song was amazing! I kept listening, and finally it clicked! "Tones of Town" is a really great album and one of the better ones to release in the last few years. In such a cluttered genre as indie pop/rock, Field Music has set themselves apart as a force to be reckoned with. Don't expect this to be my last rant about how good this album is...it won't be. And 2007 has a long way to go.
Runner-Up
The Apples In Stereo: "New Magnetic Wonder"

No comments: