Music Blogs - Blogged Blog Directory Add to Technorati Favorites

Monday, August 21, 2006

(Music) My Brightest Diamond: "Bring Me the Workhorse"

My first impression of Shara Worden came when she was syncopating "I-L-L-I-N-O-I-S" to Sufjan Stevens' "They Are Night Zombies!! They Are Neighbors!! They Have Come Back from the dead!! Ahh!!" It should come as no surprise, then, that I envisioned Shara's voice to be cutesy and poppy. Add in the fact that my first time to actually lay eyes on her was in a cheerleading uniform, performing as an Illinoisemaker, and it really just seemed to fit. My Brightest Diamond is Shara Worden; a very different girl than I imagined.

With the first note she sings on "Something of an End" I literally compared press release pictures of her to my Illinoisemakers poster to be sure that this was the same girl. Worden sings with the vocal presence of Fiona Apple or Kate Bush and takes musical risks that put her in the same category as Bjork. Consider my mind blown!

The revelation that Shara Worden was not the posessor of the cute, petite
voice I had imagined is perhaps why I'm so entranced by "Bring Me the Workhorse." The artist gives no clue that she was even involved in that silly Sufjan Stevens album and subsequent tour. The sound on this album is infinitely maturer than anything we've heard from her before. Sure, there's a stop on the "let's just have fun train" with the song "Freak Out," but everything else on this album is mesmerizing. Hearing Shara declare "Heaven and hell come c-c-crashing down!" on "Something of an End" is literally so Bjork-esque that one can't help but fall in love with the song and open up their ears to the rest of the album.

"Golden Star" eases the excitement a little until the song hits the 2-minute mark and Worden fully displays the extent of her vocal abilities without even sounding like she's breaking a sweat. "Gone Away," a soft ballad about a loverleaving and the difficulties that follows, is heartbreaking and enchanting, while "Dragonfly" is a dreamy-pop song that sounds like it could easily be a Sixpence None the Richer song if it weren't for Worden's powerful vocals.

"Bring Me the Workhorse" is one heck of an album! Before the final track comes to an end, you will have undoubtedly experience a range of emotions; from depression to happiness, optimism and fear. Truthfully, hearing Shara demand "Bring me the workhorse! Bring me the no good workhorse!" struck a bit of fear in me, followed by the absolute joy that comes with realizing that one line could bring about such an emotion. The album can, at times, be amazing, yet also seemingly unnecessary. However, despite these minor and rare flaws, I can't help but listen to "Bring Me the Workhorse" over and over and over again.

This is, by far, the best debut album to be released in 2006 thus far. I eagerly look forward to anything to come from My Brightest Diamond in the future and I suggest everyone go ahead and get on board with me!

Highly recommended for fans of Fiona Apple, Kate Bush, Bjork, Portishead and anyone looking to be amazed at one of the best combinations of creativity and talent that I have heard in a while!

Key Tracks:
1. "Something of an End"
2. "Golden Star"
3. "Dragonfly"
4. "Disappear"
5. "Workhorse"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great record !

Anonymous said...

How do you feel about the album art? I was considering buying this on i-tunes but wonder if the lyric sheet, etc. are so amazing that I need to have it.

Thanks for your input!

Cale said...

Dear anonymous.

Well the album art is pretty full. There's a lot of little sketches on the CD, the inside cover, and the back cover. Nothing special. Additionally, there are about 4 of 5 pictures of Shara in silly costumes and poses, many of which can be seen at her page on Asthmattic Kitty. As far as lyrics go, they're all there, which is nice. The lyrics themselves are kinda poetic in themselves, and a lot of that gets lost in the music.

Personally, I'd always go with an album just because it's nice to have and its something that physically justifies a purchase in my eyes. Anyways, hoped that helped. Peace out.

--Cale