Music Blogs - Blogged Blog Directory Add to Technorati Favorites

Friday, June 15, 2007

Top 5 Of Montreal Albums

Sorry about the late post. Usually I get these lists up before most of you guys are even awake. But I spent all day thinking about what my list would be and what selections would make it up. In the end, I couldn't think of anything decent at all. So here you have it; Plan B! It is no secret that Of Montreal is my absolute favorite band on planet earth. Their library is deep, with hundreds of songs to enjoy (and others to cringe at). With so many songs and albums under their belt, you'd think it would be tough for me to pick my top 5 albums...but it isn't. I've given this a lot of thought. Enjoy Plan B.#5: "Coquelicot Asleep in the Poppies: A Variety of Whimsical Verse" (2001) - I've tried to explain this album to friends, but the fact of the matter is that I really have no clue what the hell is going on here. I think it's about this girl named Coquelicot who falls asleep and dreams about zany Characters...but I'm just not sure. What I am sure about, however, is that I'm absolutely in love with every aspect of this album. Every song, every melody, every ridiculous story about a detective who evaporates into cocoa...this is a brilliant album. Drug-induced circus music, as I always say.

#4: "The Sunlandic Twins" (2005) - In truth, Of Montreal had two breakout albums. Their first garnered them attention from critics and fans alike. Their second garnered attention from prepubescent girls. This is the latter. Never fear though. Despite the fact that The Sunlandic Twins is uncharacteristically mainstream for a band like Of Montreal, it contains some of their best songs to date, including the absolutely funky "Oslo in the Summertime" and the party-fave "The Party's Crashing Us." Definitely an essential for any Of Montreal fan.

#3: "The Gay Parade" (1999)- This is Of Montreal's first breakout album, and according to many, their best. While I absolutely love meeting all the kooky townspeople in The Gay Parade, there's nothing like #s 2 and 1 on the list. Still, there's no denying that songs like "Fun Loving Nun" and "Niki Coco and the Invisible Tree" are anything but brilliant! This was the first real concept album created by Kevin Barnes and Co. and it's definitely their best. If you've never heard "The Gay Parade," you are missing out on one of the most unique and satisfying musical experiences of the last decade. Check it out!

#2: "Satanic Panic in the Attic" (2004) - Despite the fact that "The Gay Parade" was the first Of Montreal album I ever heard, THIS was the first one I ever bought. Walking around the Virgin Megastore (RIP) one day, I passed this CD and remembered that I had heard of this band. The rest is history. From start to finish, it's filled with crazy stories, confusing lyrics and memorable compositions...pretty much like every other Of Montreal album. The fact that it was my first could possibly help its standing in this list. But the fact that it's totally awesome doesn't hurt either.

#1: "Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer?" (2007)- Who would've thought that Kevin Barnes could actually write an album about himself rather than a cast of characters, and who would've thought that that album would also be his best? Certainly not me. In fact, I was so in love with "Satanic Panic in the Attic" for so long that I thought it could never have been dethroned. Clearly, I was wrong. "Hissing Fauna" mixes the elecro-pop sounds of "The Sunlandic Twins" with the what-the-hell-is-going-on vibe of "The Gay Parade" and "Coquelicot." The result is the Of Montreal album that I've always wanted, and their most solid album to date. That's why it's #1. Duh.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

so weird, my top 2 albums from of Montreal are those too!

Anonymous said...

I agree with hissing fauna being number 1 but the sundlandic being swtiched with satatnic panic