Music Blogs - Blogged Blog Directory Add to Technorati Favorites

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

(Music) The Boy Least Likely To: "The Best Party Ever"

Take 1 part Animal Collective, 1 part Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, and 1 part The Shins and mix it up and cook on "fun" for about 40 minutes. This is the recipe for England's own, The Boy Least Likely To, perhaps England's greatest export since Oasis. I've been stuck on this album for the last week or so, listening to it non-stop, and I honestly have no idea why. I mean, it's good music, it's very poppy-rock music, and it's fun. Maybe that's it. Maybe this is one of the most fun albums I've heard in a while. Actually, forget maybe....this IS the most fun album I've heard since Of Montreal's "The Sunlandic Twins."

I don't know much about The Boy Least Likely To, other than that I read about them a few months ago in my Under the Radar magazine and have been trying to get my hands on their album since then. Unfortunately, until recently "The Best Party Ever" has only been available to the United States through import. So when Best Buy lists it as being $26.98 on their website, well...I lose interest. But now it's available to everyone. Yay!

Like so many other bands I've reviewed as of late, The Boy Least Likely To is, in fact, two boys. Given the recipe for their sound which I've already described, all you need to know is that this album is fresh, original, and...yes...fun. The first song on the album begins with a one-bar xylophone solo, which just reminded me of Schatzi's "Death of the Alphabet," which I still love. The xylophone continues through the songs but the group adds in some mandolin, some steady drums, and light-hearted vocals. It's a phenominal start to an album and immediately hooks you in.

The great thing about this album is that it's almost always upbeat. Lines like "I can't sleep cause I see spiders when I close my eyes" absolutely fill the album, and it's kind of hard not to instantly fall in love with it. Even when it slows down for more serious tracks ("The Battle of the Boy Least Likely To" or "My Tiger My Heart"), you still feel as if you're listening to a carefree song because the band's style is so enchanting, and you know that one is always waiting for you on the next track.

Though I'd love to say more, it would really be fruitless. All I can say is that I'm in love with this band, and you should be too. Is this The Best Party Ever? Maybe...just maybe.

Recommended to fans of The Shins, Animal Collective, and Clap Your Hands and Say Yeah (of course), and anyone who would like to smile for a prolonged period of time.

Key Tracks:
1. Be Gentle With Me
2. Monsters
3. I'm Glad I Hitched My Apple Wagon To Your Star
4. Sleeping With a Gun Under My Pillow

No comments: