Music Blogs - Blogged Blog Directory Add to Technorati Favorites

Friday, June 02, 2006

(Music Blip) Les Claypool: "Of Whales and Woe"

Les Claypool, the former bassist of Primus, has apparently been putting out albums for a decade on his own. But as per usual, I have been blissfully unaware of such endeavors. Nevertheless, I decided to check out his newest album "Of Whales and Woe." The album is really a acid trip kaleidescope of funky bass riffs, horn flutters, and marimba solos. When listening to the music by itself, I can't help but be reminded of older Red Hot Chilli Peppers (Not this whole "Stadium Arcadium" crap). Sure, Claypool can't exactly sing, but is isn't really trying to pull on your lyrical heartstrings either. I mean "I'm gonna eat me some worms!" isn't really written in the tradition of lyrical geniuses of the past. Despite this, Claypool's album is still a fun trip. An acid trip, for sure, but at least a good acid trip. Like I know....

Recommended for fan of early RHCP, Primus, and of course, acid.

Key Tracks:
1. "One Better"
2. "Phantom Patriot"
3. "Rumble of the Diesel"

No comments: