Music Blogs - Blogged Blog Directory Add to Technorati Favorites

Friday, June 30, 2006

(Music) June In Review

It's Friday, so its time, once again, for another post. More importantly, however, is the fact that today is June 30th, the last day in June; just in time for a June In Review.

For me, June was a pretty unexciting month in the music world. Summer is never really a good season for anything except movies, summer Music mostly being categorized by bad TRL-esque pop and video games suffering what is commonly referred to as the post-E3 dulrums. Nevertheless, June did have a few notable releases. To begin with, Zero 7's "The Garden" totally began the month in solid form with one of 2006's most notable releases (in a close second behind "At War With the Mystics"). The album swept me off my feet the first time I listened to it and continues to do so, even today (as I sit at work with it playing over the speakers at the fitness center...thanks iPod!). If you haven't heard it yet, I can't emphasize how important it is that you check it out. The only other album I reviewed in June was Keane's "Under the Iron Sea" which is essentially their first album with experimentation here and there. It was good, but not the greatest album of the year (probably not even in the top 10).

That being said, there was one other album that I wanted to review but I've still to get my hands on a copy. PSAPP's "The Only Thing I Ever Wanted" has had me excited since the beginning of the year, so look forward to that review in July. Speaking of July, now there's a month I'm excited about! Next month will feature releases from Thom Yorke, Muse, Golden Smog, Alien Ant Farm, Tom Petty, and Pharrell. I plan on reviewing as many of those as I possibly can, so if you're interested, keep checking back for updates.

Overall, June was boring. Here's to July!

June Rankings:
1. Zero 7: "The Garden"
2. Keane: "Under the Iron Sea"

4 out of 5 Stars

No comments: