Music Blogs - Blogged Blog Directory Add to Technorati Favorites

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Moods - Bittersweet


Here's the thing. I pick my mood for this column based on how I feel when I sit down to write it. I don't really think about how I feel because sometimes that's just too much to deal with. I open up my handy list of moods, one of my many dictionaries, and I find the word that works for how I feel. Then I reach for the iPod and find the songs that fit. There's a lot of skipping tracks involved in that phase, because I know within seconds if a song is going to fit with how I feel. From that I make a list and from that list a play list for you, and we end up here, where you entertain me by reading my humble little opinions.

Why is she telling me this, you wonder. Simple: because I'm adding something to the definition portion of my Mood's feature. You're going to get a dictionary definition (hey, knowledge is power) and then a personal defintion. It might be a quote, a photo, a very brief retelling of something in my life. Whatever it is, it'll be personal and most likely the reason why I'm in the mood I'm in. I have always assigned certain songs to certain things in my head and those things effect my mood sometimes. How can I write and create a Moods playlist if there isn't a better reason behind it? They might be silly, they might be sad, they might be...whatever...and while I might not want to offer explanation for it, I can assure you I wouldn't be sharing it if it didn't dictate how I felt.

I know my mood isn't your mood, but sometimes, we share experiences. Sometimes we have certain instances that are similar. Sometimes my mood might effect yours and vice versa. I won't be sharing the Jill Dictionary with you every Moods post, but when I do, I hope you take something from it.

So, getting on it with it:

This week's Mood: Bittersweet

As defined by Webster's, Bittersweet means:

1. both bitter and sweet to the taste
2. both pleasant and painful or regretful
3. Also called woody nightshade. a climbing or trailing plant, Solanum dulcamara, of the nightshade family, having small, violet, star-shaped flowers with a protruding yellow
center and scarlet berries.
4. Also called climbing bittersweet. any climbing plant of the genus Celastrus, bearing orange capsules opening to expose red-coated seeds, esp. C. scandens.
5. pleasure mingled with pain or regret

Of course, we're going with No.'s 2 and 5. To make it more applicable to the Jill definition, a quote: "I don't know what it is about you, but I'm in love with you. I think about you everyday and what our lives would be like if we could only be in the same room at the same time. It's how it's suppose to be when two people come together."

And for my bittersweet mood, a play list:





No comments: