Music Blogs - Blogged Blog Directory Add to Technorati Favorites

Friday, August 01, 2008

The Top 40 Songs By Of Montreal (Songs 30-26)

Week 3 0f 8 is below.  If you're just now joining us for this Top 40 Countdown, be sure to check out the previous entries.  Once you brush up on your stuff, keep reading to find out which songs made it to the list this week.

Week 1   |   Week 2
#30:  "I Was Never Young" from the album, The Sunlandic Twins (2005) - When I first got my hands on The Sunlandic Twins back in 2005, I was excited to hear that the lead-off track "Requiem for O.M.M.2" showed a nice evolution of Of Montreal's sound.  It wasn't until this song (track 2) that I realized that this was much more than an evolution, it was a revolution (oh yeah, I just went there).  Caveman chants, mariachi trumpets, electronic drums...hell, this song has it all!

#29:  "My Favorite Boxer" from the album, The Gay Parade (1999) - One of the many reasons why everyone should listen to The Gay Parade before calling themselves an Of Montreal fan, "My Favorite Boxer" is a charming, humorous story about a poor lad who idolizes a boxer named Hector Ormano.  Feeling bad for someone has never been so joyous!

#28:  "Eros' Entropic Tundra" from the album, Satanic Panic in the Attic (2004) - Leave it to Kevin Barnes to name a song "Eros' Entropic Tundra" when the obvious and easy title would be "Sad Love" (yes, kiddies, that's this song).  This was one of the first times that I ever heard an Of Montreal be kind of sad, and I loved it.  It's heartfelt, earnest, and real which served as a nice break from all the necromancing and British tour diaries that overran the album.  Of course, we would later get a whole heap of sad songs on Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer?  But in many ways, you never forget your first.

#27:  "Penelope" from the album, Coquelecot Asleep In the Poppies: A Variety of Whimsical Verse (2001) - Honestly, this is a really great song, thus explaining its spot on this list.  But I fear that I might actually like Casper and the Cookies' cover version better.  I'm sure if Kevin Barnes had dreamt up the song in 2007 that he would have come up with something eerily similar to what those guys did.  Still, the original flows much better and feels a whole lot less gimmicky.  

#26:  "She's A Rejector" from the album, Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer? (2007) - As great as this song is, I never realized the full extent of its awesomeness until I saw the band perform it live in January of 2007.  This is one of the few songs that I've ever heard sound better live than it does on the album.  That's not to detract from its greatness though, it's a blast to listen to, sing along to, and freak out to at the right moments ("I CAN'T, I CAN'T, I CAN'T, I CAN'T!!").

No comments: