Music Blogs - Blogged Blog Directory Add to Technorati Favorites

Friday, December 21, 2007

The Top 31 of 2007 - #11


Cale's Pick
LCD Soundsytem: Sound of Silver
Released: March 20, 2007

I was at a Christmas party in 2005(?) and there's a guy there who I typically only see at this same party every year. But we have a lot of the same interests in movies and music and such, so I sparked up a conversation about the best music of 2005. His pick for the best music of 2005? LCD Soundsystem, who, at the time, I had never heard of. Trusting this guy's opinion, I went to the trusty BitTorrent and downloaded (illegally) the self-titled debut. I hated it. Well...loathed. That word works better. It just didn't do anything for me. I was disappointed. So around the time that Sound of Silver came out, I was filled with such disinterest that I avoided listening to it for a month or so. But I finally downloaded it (illegally, again) and was immediately blown away by what I thought was a smart, funny, and endlessly talented dance album. James Murphy's voice still sounds like he has a terrible case of nasal congestion, but he uses it in a way that suits it. The beats are "fly as hell" as I've heard some describe it, and the lyrics are just great. Sometimes they're poignant, most of the time they're just extremely clever. Whatever. I guess the point I'm getting at is that Sound of Silver completely won me over! So if you found yourself disappointed by the debut, you should at least give the guy another shot. Oh, and just so we're clear, I did actually purchase the CD too. For the record, my rule is download first; buy if you dig it, delete it if you don't. It suits me.

For making me a believer (without seeing her face), LCD Soundsystem slides into the #11 spot.

The Top 31 Songs of 2007 - #11
"Same Old Drag" by Apples in Stereo, from the album, New Magnetic Wonder.
--------------------------------------

Jill's Pick

Edith Piaf: La Vie en Rose: La Môme
Released: February 27, 2007

Songs about alcoholic mothers, circus performer fathers, a grandmother who is a madam, murder, being famous, her love of France...more alcohol, heartache, bad love affairs, death of an only child...despair, lust, some humor, true love, a whole lot of pain...that's the glory of Edith Piaf.

Even if you don't understand the French, you more than understand the feeling. And if you'd like to take a trip to Paris without ever leaving your living room, Edit Piaf is for you. Her flirty, heavily accented, Accordion/Piano accompanied voice is enough to take you to another place entirely. At least for me she is.

I'm not normally a soundtrack kind of girl and while I have other, possibly better, Edith Piaf albums, this one manages to pull all of my favorite Piaf songs together in one neat little package. Sometimes I like my nostalgic and sad French music in small packages, so the 11 tracks I love are neatly wrapped up for me. It's got three parts to it: 11 of Piaf's original recordings (remastered), the movie score, and Piaf interpretations by Jil Aigrot. I'll be honest: I haven't listened past track 11; movie scores and someone who isn't Edith Piaf trying to be Edith Piaf don't interest me.

Edith Piaf is perfect for those nostalgic, sad moments that sometimes come up.

My favorite track: "Mon Legionaire"

Songs you should give a listen to:
--"Rien en Rien"
--"Mon Manege a Moi"
--"Mon Legionaire"
--"Mon Homme"
--"La Vie en Rose" (the accordion version) (though, the original version is quite fantastic in itself)

No comments: