Music Blogs - Blogged Blog Directory Add to Technorati Favorites

Saturday, December 08, 2007

The Top 31 of 2007 - #24


Cale's Pick
Caribou: Andorra
Released: August 21, 2007

When I first saw that a new Caribou album was due out, I thought, "Oh....that might be nice." And then I left it at that. You see, I am the proud owner of Caribou's "first" album, as well as Up In Flames by Manitoba (Caribou before a lawsuit forced Don Snaith to change the name of the music project). However, after owning those for a few years, I learned that they lost their appeal pretty early on. So while Andorra was a nice thought to me, I never expected it to be as gorgeous or inventive as it is. Drenched in psychadelia and (gasp!) live instrumentation, Andorra is a milestone for Snaith; not only reinventing himself as a musician, but doing so and managing to make it sound better and more imaginative than anyone could have foreseen. The lyrics on Andorra are a nice addition, as most of his prior music was without it. His voice is fragile, not as strong as it should be, but it surprisingly works. It's really a beautiful album...and the cover art is kind of pretty too. What more could you ask for?

For surprising me, Caribou makes it to #24.

The Top 31 Songs of 2007 - #24
"Bodysnatchers" by Radiohead, from the album, In Rainbows
---------------------------------------------

Jill's Pick
Alison Krauss: A Hundred Miles or More
Released: April 3, 2007

Another one of those collection albums, only this time it's a jumble of soundtrack songs, duets, and only one remotely upbeat, foot tapping song that would have served me better in the middle of the track list rather than at the beginning.

I like Alison Krauss, I always have, and while this album is really kind of weak on a whole, it's still vintage her. She's got such an interesting, different voice that I sometimes have to pause and pay attention. On this album, "Down to the River to Pray" is my pause moment. The only way I can describe it is truly breathtaking. I just wish the rest of the album held a candle to that measurement. I don't understand her fascination with John Waite (I don't understand anyone's fascination with him) and no one should ever remake "Missing You." But I will say, because this is my review where I contradict myself (it's not so good, yes, it kind of is good, I don't like John Waite but I like this song) (typical girl?), I do enjoy "Lay Down Beside Me." (Which is really a Don Williams song.)

It's an album you listen to when you want to plunge head first into every break-up, every time your heart has been broken, or you want to mourn every person you've ever lost.

The best track: "Down to the River to Pray"

Songs to give a listen to:
--"Down to the River to Pray"
--"You Will Be My Ain True Love"
--"Lay Down Beside Me

No comments: