Music Blogs - Blogged Blog Directory Add to Technorati Favorites

Sunday, December 02, 2007

The Top 31 of 2007 - #30


Cale's Pick
Spoon: Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
Released: July 10, 2007

I suppose I have a bad habit of ripping on Spoon. They're not a bad band. In fact, I'd venture to say that they're one of the most talented indie rock bands out there today. That's why they're huge, after all. No, my only problem with Spoon is their penchant for putting a few great songs that clearly show the range of their talent on an album with several songs that show that they could be doing better. Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga is a prime example of this. Fortunately though, the "bad" songs aren't "bad" at all. They just seem so compared to the greatness that is displayed elsewhere on the album. And while it may be true that I'm not the biggest fan of Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga, the fact remains that it is a fundamentally better album than most other bands could muster this year. There are definitely some duds to be found on it, but there are also some amazingly catchy and superb rock songs. If anything, I say listen to it and decide for yourself.

For conflicting me, yet ultimately arising the victor, Spoon just barely makes my list at #30.

Top 31 Songs of 2007 - #30
"Setting Sun" by The Aliens from the album, Astronomy For Dogs.
----------------------------------------------------------
Jill's Pick
A Fine Frenzy: One Cell in the Sea
Released: July 17, 2007


She could be a great singer/songwriter with a great album if at about the middle point of it the songs didn't start to run together. That aside, I realized something about this album I hadn't before writing this: it's personal and not a lot of people let that come through anymore. Sure, they say they do. They spout life experience and emotion and whatnot, but it never seems to feel sincere. But this album does. I appreciate that in an album. There's no agenda, it's just honest. Earnest, even. While I think it's honest and earnest, it's not that great of an album, but I listen to it. Call it a guilty pleasure type thing. It can, at the wrong times, be a total downer and upset me, but in those times it doesn't, it makes for great background noise.

The best track, and the only track I like: "Almost Lover," for this line: "Shoulda known you'd bring me heartache, oh, most lovers always do."

No comments: