Music Blogs - Blogged Blog Directory Add to Technorati Favorites

Friday, December 07, 2007

The Top 31 of 2007 - #25



Cale's Pick
Smashing Pumpkins: Zeitgeist
Released: July 10, 2007

I picked up a copy of Zeitgeist with one goal in mind: to thoroughly tear apart the CD in my review. I've long held the opinion that Billy Corgan is one of the most overrated and over-hyped musicians out there today, with a legion of fanboys who could use a good shot to the head knee cap. So I was very excited about listening to Zeitgeist and then reviewing it poorly. But the more and more I listened to the album, the more and more I realized that was was on it was actually pretty decent, good even. Billy Corgan's voice is still unsuitable for this type of music, but it eventually starts sounding (dare I say) listeneable as the album goes on. When I finally reviewed Zeitgeist and gave it a 7 out of 10 rating, my fanboy friend was ecstatic; calling me and telling me all these cool fact about Corgan and such as if I was suddenly a fan. I'm not. In fact, since purchasing this album, I've only listened to it a few times. But the fact remains that Zeitgeist is surprisingly good, and possibly the Pumpkins' best album since Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness. Now that's impressive.

For winning me over....this time, Smashing Pumpkins make the #25 spot on my list.

The Top 31 Songs of 2007 - #25
"Sugar Assault Me Now" by Pop Levi, from the album, The Return to Form Black Magick Party.
---------------------------------------------

Jill's Pick
Ani diFranco: Canon
Released: September 11, 2007

Firstly, it's a compilation album. The woman, after all, does have 22 albums to her name. I wasn't going to pick it up, but I am a long-time fan and had to have it. Her best album, in my opinion, is To the Teeth, but this is a nice change. A nice blend of 36 songs that, well, cover everything.

Secondly, when I put together my list of albums, my rating system was simple: the number of tracks I liked determined it's spot on the list. Since I like so many of these songs (see below) you'd think it would score higher up (or lower, whatever) but seeing as how it's a compilation album, I decided to leave it in the 20's.

My only complaint: it would be much better if you left out the 5 2007 versions of old songs. I'm weird like that. Remakes are fine, by other people, but I've never been a fan of people remaking their own tracks.

When I ordered this, the boy said to me "Don't you have all of her albums?" My answer was yes, yes I do, but I never get tired of hearing them. And they're songs I would have never thought to listen to grouped together. I tend to just pick one of her albums and have at it; rarely do I mix them up. This would make a great album for someone who's only just starting to listen to her music. 36 tracks seems tedious but if you give it a chance, it really does show off her genius. It flows effortlessly and pretty much every track makes you think.

I think she sums it perfectly when she says it's "arranged and intended to be played from beginning to end". All the work is done for you, you just have to listen.

Because I am biased, the 2nd best song she's ever made: "Marrow"

Tracks you should seriously give a listen to (despite all the work being done for you):
--"Fire Door "
--"Cradle & All"
--"Shy "
--"Gravel"
--"Hello Birmingham"
--"Grey"
--"Marrow"
--"Subdivision"
--"Your Next Bold Move"

No comments: