Music Blogs - Blogged Blog Directory Add to Technorati Favorites

Friday, February 08, 2008

The Top 5 Ring Tones

No, really. Ring tones.

I'm sitting in my doctor's office, waiting as is the norm, when someone's cell phone goes off. Normal ring, low tone, not all that disturbing. Then someone else's phone goes off. A little louder, some Rascal Flats song that the owner seemed slightly embarrassed by. Someone else's phone vibrates. Rascal Flats rings again and I'm trying to chill, thinking to myself "Don't these people put their phones on silent when they're in waiting rooms?"

Of course, right when I shoot Rascal Flats a dirty look for making me hear it for a 3rd time, my pocket not only starts to vibrate but very loudly ring. And of course, it's in the pocket that's hard to get into and it rings straight on through the end and just as I pull it out of my pocket, it goes to voice mail.

My ring tone? It's the UCLA fight song, "The Sons of Westwood".

Rascal Flats it is not.

So that led me to my Friday Top Five...believe it or not, there is a lot of money to made in the ring tone game. Most artists get 30% of whatever you pay for one of their ring tones. There can also be serious fees paid for licensing and publishing a ring tone. Some artists gladly, for a fee, remix or rewrite one of their more popular songs into ring tone form. Pay them a bigger fee and they'll write you something original. Whichever way you look at it, there's a lot of money in ring tones.

It fascinates me, so I feel compelled to share.

According to Billboard, these are this weeks Top Five Ring Tones:

5. "Adios Amor Te Vas" by Grupo Montez De Durango: It's really a peppy little Latin tune. For when you're really wanting the Mariachi vibe in ring tone form. I'd use it. I'd use it and play it at inappropriate times. I would play it to Mariachi's in Mexican restaurants just because I could.

4. "Super Mario Brothers Theme" by Koji Kondo: Oh, come on. We all know the Super Mario Brothers Theme. I guess gamers need ring tone love too.

3. "I'm So Hood" by DJ Khaled Featuring T-Pain, Trick Daddy, Rick Ross & Plies: I really do love this song. Well, not the entire thing. Just the "I'm so hood" part, which really sounds more like "I'm so hoooooooooood" when I say it. And I do, every time I hear it. Especially when I hear it coming out of someone's phone.

2. "Crank That (Soulja Boy)" by Soulja Boy Tell'em: Do people who have this as a ring tone know the dance? Do you know he says the word 'you' 45 times and his name at least 55 times?

1. "Pink Panther Theme" by Henry Mancini: Are we skulking around, spying on people waiting for our phone to go off so we'd have the proper soundtrack? Are we buying insulation for our attics?

Really, the only question I have is, do other people just let it ring so they can hear their ring tone because they like it that much? Or am I the only one?


No comments: