Music Blogs - Blogged Blog Directory Add to Technorati Favorites

Sunday, December 31, 2006

Top 31 of 2006: #1


The Flaming Lips: "At War with the Mystics"
Released: April 4, 2006

If you're at all familiar with me or my blog, you already had this one figured out a long time ago. I am absolutely in love with The Flaming Lips. Just when you thought they couldn't top 2001's "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots," they bust out this amazing album and you just can't help but love it. It will make you believe in the power of rock music again. Not just because it rocks your balls clean off (it does), but also because it's socially conscious without being too preachy, funny without being raunchy, and beautiful without being boring. All in all, it's one of the most amazing musical experiences that I've ever had, and one that will undoubtedly stay with me for years and years to come. Of all the albums that came out in 2006, only this one would have received a perfect 10 out of 10 Stars from me. In fact, of all the albums I've ever heard in my life, there's only about 3 or 4 other ones that could receive that honor. The Flaming Lips have blown my mind time after time, and every time I listen to "At War with the Mystics" I find new things to love about it. That's what being a musical genius is all about. Don't get it twisted, The Flaming Lips are the real deal. Even after two decades of being in the public eye, they continue to put out great music.

For that, The Flaming Lips cap off my list of the Top 31 Albums of 2006!

Top 31 Songs of 2006: #1
The Dears - "Ballad of Humankindness" from the album Gang of Losers.

No comments: