Music Blogs - Blogged Blog Directory Add to Technorati Favorites

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Top 31 of 2006: #18


Thom Yorke: "The Eraser"
Released: July 11, 2006

If you still like Radiohead, the consensus seems to be that you'll really like Thom Yorke's first official solo outing. Fair enough. I believe I even stated back in my review in July that this album is good enough to hold me over until Radiohead's next album (which better come out). Has it? Not really. You see, "The Eraser" is a very very cool album. When it was released I praised it's ability to be simplistic and still seem complex. After about a month, though, you realize just how simplistic it is. It's a loop, most often, and Thom Yorke singing. Don't discredit it though. These are pretty cool loops, and Thom is still a pretty talented vocalist. But after you listen to it a dozen times, there's nothing left to experience. You've heard everything. There's nothing new to find. It's like a pop album, but lacking in strong hooks. With the exception of "This is f*cked up, f*cked up. " there's not really a hook that will catch you and keep you listening. As such, I'd like to change my initial rating from a 5 out of 5 Stars to a 7 out of 10 Stars. This is an incredible album, but far from perfect. That being said. Get it. If you don't, you might be an idiot. Just maybe....

For giving me one of the best months ever, Thom Yorke (read Tom York) is presented with this fabulous spot on my list.

Top 31 Songs of 2006: #18
Sia - "The Church of What's Happening Now" from the album Colour the Small One.

No comments: