Music Blogs - Blogged Blog Directory Add to Technorati Favorites

Friday, December 29, 2006

Top 31 of 2006: #3

The Elected: "Sun, Sun, Sun"
Released: January 24, 2006

At the end of 2005, I was pretty clueless as to what great albums would be released this year. One thing I was eagerly anticipating, however, was the date January 24. On that day, the two important halves of Rilo Kiley would each release their own album. Jenny Lewis released "Rabbit Fur Coat" and Blake Sennet's "other band" would release "Sun, Sun, Sun!" Which one was I more eagerly anticipating? Jenny Lewis' album, to be sure. I loved The Elected's first album, but I had yet to hear what a Jenny Lewis solo album would sound like. I was pumped. Then the day finally came and Jenny Lewis did nothing but disappoint with her "I want to be an old-timey country singer" act. It got all the hype, however, while "Sun, Sun, Sun" was quietly swept under the rug of journalistic nonsense. Well, Audio Overflow wasn't around then, but it is now, and I'm here to say that "Sun, Sun, Sun" is not only worlds better than "Rabbit Fur Coat," but it's one of the absolute best albums to come out in 2006! Blake Sennet's songwriting skills have never been better, or more apparent, and the album flows from beginning to end with such whistful grace that it's easy to find yourself lost in it from time to time. It's been nearly a year since this album was released and it's still getting regular plays in my stereo! In a year where I've bought more albums than I did my first 18 years, that's saying a hell of a lot! So really, I know that Jenny Lewis rode the wave of hype this year all the way to Top 10 lists, but who are you going to trust? Trust me! The Elected stole the show on January 24, 2006, and now in December, they continue to pwn the hell out of Jenny Lewis. This is one album that everyone can enjoy!

For totally making me fall out of love with Jenny Lewis, The Elected is voted into the #3 spot.

Top 31 Songs of 2006: #3
The Elected - "Fireflies in a Steel Mill" from the album Sun, Sun, Sun.

No comments: