Music Blogs - Blogged Blog Directory Add to Technorati Favorites

Sunday, December 24, 2006

Top 31 of 2006: #8

The Dears: "Gang of Losers"
Released: October 3, 2006

Back in August, I released a little list that no one besides me read (because it was on this site). It listed my favorite Canadian albums of all time, and a little band called The Dears made it to #2 on that list with "No Cities Left." Then October rolls around and that same band drops "Gang of Losers" which, if it weren't for a couple songs, would undoubtedly be my #1 album of the year! Murray Lightburn just sings his heart out on this album, with such blind passion that it's both beautiful and frightening, often at the same time. When I first listened to it, I was really not all that impressed (I wasn't really listening). But for the sake of reviewing it, and because I'm a huge Dears fan, I kept on listening. My initial reaction was stupid! This album is better than "No Cities Left" in almost every imaginable way. The music is better, Murray's lyrics are better, and the girls are still unimaginably hot. So really, I know I've just been comparing this album to their last the whole time, but that's because The Dears are a band that's so unfathomably different (mostly by being simple, and earnest) from every other band today, that there is no appropriate comparison. Buy this album! Don't listen to 30 second clips on Amazon.com and then buy it. Just buy it. Because, honestly, "Gang of Losers" is an album that everyone can really enjoy, and it's an album that will rock your balls off and then make you cry about it. That's power!

For, well, rocking my balls off and then making me cry about it, I proudly present The Dears with my #8 spot.

Top 31 Songs of 2006: #8
My Brightest Diamond - "Something of an End" from the album Bring Me the Workhorse.

No comments: