Music Blogs - Blogged Blog Directory Add to Technorati Favorites

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Top 31 of 2006: #12


Joanna Newsom: "Ys"
Released: November 14, 2006

Bring on the hate. I've been expecting it. Ever since I decided to put Joanna Newsom in the #12 spot over a month ago, I've pretty much known that many people would disagree with me. So I'd like to once again point out the superiority of my opinion in all things music. "Ys" is an amazing album. In only five songs, Joanna weaves intricate tales of meteors, or Monkeys and Bears and it all manages to sound cool. Yeah. Who would have thought that a creepy little house-ridden girl who plays the harp would be cool? I sure as hell didn't. So what if Joanna Newsom can't sing an "a" syllable? It's cute when she tries, right? Right! And I know that my initial reaction to her wasn't the most positive reaction possible, but come on! The bottom line is, Joanna Newsom is a fantastic, brilliant artist. Artistry of this caliber has not been seen elsewhere this year. Period! So do yourself a favor and experience "Ys."

For keeping me in awe, Joanna Newsom plucks her way into the #12 spot.

Top 31 Songs of 2006: #12
Cursive - "Dorothy at Forty" from the album Happy Hollow.

No comments: