Music Blogs - Blogged Blog Directory Add to Technorati Favorites

Sunday, December 10, 2006

Top 31 of 2006: #22


The Divine Comedy: "Victory for the Comic Muse"
Released: June 19, 2006

I had never heard of The Divine Comedy until a few months ago, so I definitely have some catching up to do. It also means that I'm close to two decades behind the rest of the world. My excuse is that I'm American, but I'm not sure if will actually suffice as a legitimate excuse. Regardless, "Victory for the Comic Muse" is brilliant all around. Masterful arrangements, moving lyrics, humor; they're all here. And they are relentless. If "To Die a Virgin" doesn't put a grin on your face, you may be lacking a pulse. If "A Lady of a Certain Age" doesn't make you think, you may be lacking a mind. And if "Arthur C. Clarke's Mysterious World" doesn't make you "WTF" all over yourself, you're probably a Briton in your 30s. It certainly is a wonderful collection of songs, and a noteworthy one at that. As far as 2006 goes, it is definitely a sleeper hit. So check it out. After all, I said so.

For totally ripping off Electric Light Orchestra and making it sound only moderately homosexual, The Divine Comedy sneaks into the #22 spot.

Top 31 Songs of 2006: #22
Destroyer - "European Oils" from the album Destroyer's Rubies.

No comments: